Thursday, October 6, 2011

Veggie Lasagna



I hadn't planned on writing about this veggie lasagna today, but couldn't resist after serving leftovers of it for lunch. Please excuse the picture. It doesn't do it justice.

I've never been overly enthusiastic about lasagna, it's usually too cheesy and has some form of meat in it. This one appealed to me because it seemed veggie heavy and cooked in a crock pot. Busy mom = love of crock pot meals.

This lasagna is great, easy to make and every delicious bite has vegetables in it! We only have one little person in the family who is holding out on deciding to try this dish, but I can live with that. I have a feeling it will be a favorite for the entire family before too long. The biggest challenge is actually convincing my husband to leave some for leftovers!

Veggie Lasagna (Crock Pot)*

2c Spinach, Broccoli and Zucchini
1 15oz Container Ricotta Cheese
1/2c Parmesan Cheese, shredded
1tbsp Dried Italian Herbs
1/2tsp Garlic Powder
1/2tsp Sea Salt (finely ground)
1 Large Egg
1 25oz Jar Pasta Sauce (I use tomato basil sauce)
1 Box Whole Wheat Lasagna Noodles (uncooked)
1 1/2 - 2c Mozzarella Cheese, grated

1. Defrost vegetables, if needed
2. Place vegetables in a food processor and pulse to chop
3. Place the ricotta, parmesan cheese, herbs, garlic powder, salt and egg in a bowl and stir to combine
4. Pour half the pasta sauce in the bottom of the crock pot
5. Place a layer of noodles on top of the sauce, covering entire surface, breaking the noodles to fit the pot
6. Layer half the ricotta mixture on top of the noodles, followed by one cup of the chopped vegetables and then one cup of mozzarella cheese
7. Repeat with another layer of noodles, followed by the remaining ricotta mixture and chopped vegetables
8. Pour the remaining pasta sauce on top of the lasagna and top with the remaining cup of grated cheese
9. Cook on low for four hours

*Adapted from the weelicious.com recipe for Crock Pot Veggie Lasagna http://weelicious.com/2011/09/14/crock-pot-veggie-lasagna/.

1 comment:

  1. Yum, this looks delish! And hello, Crockpot= easy! I'm looking for new meatless meals now, too- this is great. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete